Saturday, January 28, 2012

Savory Pot Roast with Onions

Since I don't follow recipes exactly when I am reading them (for one reason or another) I have trouble sometimes making the item again.  That is what is happening to me now :(  I made a pot roast back in November that tasted really really really good.  Usually if I can find the base recipe, I can remember... but I can't even find this base recipe.  So here goes what I remember with a few changes. 

We loved it!!
Sear the beef and season with salt and rosemary.

Flip the seared beef and it should have a nice brown cast with slight bronze streaks.

Put into dish and put onions around the beef.

Mix together sauces for the gravy.

Place the gravy over the roast and sprinkle with more rosemary


Serve with Roasted Root Vegetables

Savory Pot Roast:

*1 1/2 pound Roast ( I used a beef chuck roast shoulder)
*2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (or butter)
*1 pressed garlic clove
*salt
*1/2 teaspoon rosemary

*1 onion chopped lengthwise

Sauce:
*1/4 cup red wine vinegar - or- red wine
*1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
*1/2 jar of Heinz low fat gravy
* 2 Tablespoons water (if double, use 1/4 cup)
*1 teaspoon rosemary
*1/2 teaspoon bay leaf or 3 whole bay leaves (whole to be removed after cooking)

Preheat the oven to 375.  Put the olive oil (or butter) into a skillet & turn on.  I trim the fat off of the meat and then pierce the meat with the fork several times on both sides.  I sprinkle with salt and then I place the meat into the hot skillet.  Put the rosemary and pressed garlic onto the top of the roast.  At this point, the bottom is ready to be flipped.  I look for a nice even brown color with a few carmel streaks.  This locks in the flavor when it is baked in the oven.

Set the meat aside in the dish you will be using.  Put the onion on the sides around the meat.

Combine the gravy, red wine, Worcestershire Sauce and water.  Mix well and pour over the top of the roast.

Cook at 375 for an hour.

Note:  When I make a roast this way, I cook the vegetables separately.  I have found the potatoes get too soggy with this roast.  I use my Roasted Root Vegetable recipe to accompany this dish.

If doubling this for a 3-4lb roast, do not double the vinegar.  If using wine, double :)

No comments:

Post a Comment