Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Baked Mac & Cheese

I think the only time I ever follow a recipe exactly is when I am baking.  Here is yet another example of me not following the recipe as written.  I found this recipe through Pinterest, which had people claiming it was the worlds best mac and cheese.  I had to try it (and change it, so it really is something pretty different I am sure.

*8 oz. small Penne pasta
* Sauce:
  •  3 Tablespoons of butter
  • 1 1/2 Cups of milk
  • 2 1/2 Tablespoons of flour
  • 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt
  • 1 Tablespoon white cheddar popcorn seasoning
*1/2 Cup of Cheddar Cheese

Set oven temperature to 350.
Directions for making the sauce: 
  1. Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour. Continue whisking and cooking for 2 minutes.
  2. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheeses, salt, chile powder, and garlic powder. Stir until cheese has melted and all ingredients are well incorporated, about 3 minutes. Use immediately or refrigerate up to 3 days.
Add the sauce to the cooked penne pasta and coat.   Put mixture into 8x8 ungreased pan and place into oven for 20 minutes.  Let stand for 5 minutes before eating.

Sadly, I couldn't eat it because of the dairy - but my family LOVED it.

No comments:

Post a Comment