Saturday, January 14, 2012

Kale Soup

Winter has surely set in - no more odd 60 degree January days here.  It snowed this week, which my girls loved and my oldest said, "It's finally Christmastime."  Uh.  Nope, Christmas is past.  She had made these window clings this summer and I thought the little astronaut looked so cute against the snow.

One of my most favorite things in the winter time is soup.  A family favorite soup that I make several times every winter is Kale Soup.  My mom always made it and I have heard she learned to make it from my Great Aunt Ethel (who passed away this past year at 101yrs old).  I LOVE Kale Soup!!

Ingredients:

5 Potatoes cut 
15 Baby carrots diced
1 cup of fast Oatmeal (plain!)
3 bunches of Kale
2 links of Polish Kielbasa 
8 cups water
salt to taste

Boil the water and add the potatoes and carrots.  I usually simmer until the potatoes and carrots are soft and a fork can pierce them.  During this time, I shred the Kale into small pieces that are as large as my palm or smaller.  Add the kielbasa and oatmeal when the potatoes are soft.  Then add the kale.  Allow to continue to simmer for 5-10 more minutes.  I prefer my Kale to lose the bright green color and become limp; and I use this as my guide to when the soup is complete.  Salt to taste.  

If your soup gets too thick, you can always add more water, a cup at a time until it is the desired consistency.  This soup is packed with wonderful nutrients!  Let me know if you try our family recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment